ToughEMOUNT

Since the release of Sony’s A7 series (namely the A7 and A7R) there has been quite a lot of talk about the “wiggle” that any mounted lens may suffer (in my case, it certainly did). This has been especially true for larger lenses. This is due to the two part lens mount of the camera – one part metal, one part plastic. The team over at Fotodiox saw that this issue was fairly serious and addressed it with the release of their “TOUGH E-Mount” and further improved “TOUGH E-Mount LT.” This new, further improved, mount replacement is said to not only fix any wiggle you may experience with your lenses, but to also cut down on any light leak that may be visible during long exposures.

Now, I’ve only experienced one of the two issues this mount is supposed to improve on, so I can’t comment on both. I’ve never noticed any light leaks during longer exposures, granted, I haven’t done any “scientific” tests. If I don’t notice any issues when I’m out shooting in the field, I’m not going to setup hundreds of tests in the studio to try and find those issues. If it ain’t broke, don’t… look for a break? Yeah.

The Fotodiox team were awesome enough to send me a TOUGH E-Mount LT to try for myself and document for you guys. So, this is what the TOUGH E-Mount LT looks like straight out of the box:

ToughEMOUNT_01

What you WILL need:

What you MAY need:

  • Replacement screws – Part # 418654501 (that number is important!)

After watching the video, provided by Fotodiox (found here), I figured just about anyone could successfully replace the mount without too much trouble… And while that IS the case, I want to share with you one major problem I had. See these screws? They are brand new screws express shipped to me, from a repair shop in Melbourne, after something went drastically wrong. I say “drastically,” it was more just a massive pain in the butt than anything.

_DSC5451

After attempting to remove the original screws of my Sony A7R, I came to realise that they were in there pretty damn good! I was well aware of the fact that I could easily damage the screw heads if I wasn’t careful. Sure enough, after a good 20 minutes of trying to release the hold these screws had, I ended up rounding each screw recess, making it even harder. After a few more tries, my frustration began to heighten. I figured I was better off putting it aside for another day before I caused any serious damage, especially to my extremely vulnerable and exposed sensor.

Somehow, after much more perseverance the very next day, I managed to loosen one of the screws. And then another… And another, until they were all out. At this stage, I knew there was no way I was getting those same screws back in place once the new mount had been fitted. It turns out these screws are readily available… to American residents only. Luckily, I was able to find an Australian repair shop who were able to order some from a supplier in Singapore and send them directly to me. If you’re from Australia and have the same problems with the screws as I did, give Speedy Spares a call and they’ll help you out. I ordered 6 screws and it cost $24.

Once these old screws were removed, following the instructions on the video was pretty much as straight forward as it gets. The new mount was easily fitted, once I had some decent screws, and any sign of wigglin’ is now just a distant memory. Check out my video below showing the difference before and after the TOUGH E-Mount LT was installed. As you can see in the first clip there is a substantial amount of rotational wiggle, the second clip shows practically no wiggle at all! That’s a win in my eyes!

Side note: Thankfully, the newer models of Sony cameras have a singular constructed mount, making this issue non-existant! Another win!